Follow by Email

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tisha B'Av

So, today was not much different than most other days we've been here with a few exceptions. As I had never commemorated this day before, I tried to fast as most people do. It's not like Yom Kippur in which you are in services all day, and are distracted from your hunger. This was a day of class, text study, prayer, and a few hours of free time in the afternoon. And, to make matters even more crazy, I was even fasting from water. This is not a great idea in the desert temperatures of Israel, especially on one of the hottest days of the year. I made it until about 4:30 when I was beginning to get a headache. I must admit that even though I didn't really feel much today, the struggle of making it until 4:30 was difficult, and it shed some light on some of the pain that Israelis feel on this day, and all Jews for that matter. It is a different kind of fast day than Yom Kippur, and until you have experienced it in Israel, it's hard to explain. But, I am glad I was able to accomplish what I accomplished. I learned a little bit about the meanings of Tisha B'Av, and felt a little bit of the difficulty.

This evening, I met with some friends to study for my first Hebrew exam. I think I'll do ok, but I always get a little worried before tests. The study session went well, and it was nice to get together with friends to review. We'll see how tomorrow goes. I'll write tomorrow afternoon, if I have time to talk about the test. Just to get an idea of my schedule here, take a look at my schedule for tomorrow:

7:00 wake up
8:00 - 8:30 study for Ulpan test
8:30 - 10:00 Test #1
10:05 - 10:25 Shacharit Services (morning services) led by me and a friend
10:30 - 12:00 2nd period of Ulpan
12:15 - 1:00 3rd period of Ulpan
1:00 - 1:30 Lunch
1:30 - 3:00 Reform Liturgy Workshop
3:00 - 4:00 Experience the "Time Elevator" with some friends
4:15 - 5:00 Give Carlie a bath and hang out with Batya
5:30 - 6:45 Tzedakah meeting at HUC
7:00 - 9:00 Text Study for Jerusalem day #2
9:15 collapse from the day!

Until tomorrow, B'Shalom!

1 comment:

Camper said...

What's the "Time Elevator", Boxt?