Follow by Email

Friday, August 3, 2007

Jerusalem Day #3 and My pinky, AGAIN!

Wow. For the third Jerusalem Day, we went to the Israel Museum on Tuesday night to see the Dead Sea Scrolls, and to the Southern Wall Excavations and Kotel Tunnels on Thursday. The Israel Museum was nice, but I would have liked to have spent more time in the museum. We spent some time studying some text, which was enjoyable, but there is so much to the museum, and we didn't really have enough time to examine everything. We had our second Hebrew test on Wednesday. It was tough, but I think I did ok. We'll just have to wait until Sunday to find out.

On Thursday, we had a great day. We spent some time examining the Southern Wall, even climbing the steps to where pilgrims would have entered into the Second Temple complex. It was a very awe inspiring experience. I just imagined myself 2000 years ago going to the Temple on one of the harvest festivals. After examining the Southern wall, we checked out some pretty interesting things including Robinson's Arch, another entrance to the Second Temple area that is also over 2000 years old, as well as some ancient store sites for purchasing animals for sacrifices. We even saw 2000 year old Mikvahs, or purity bath areas.

The most exciting part of the day, though, was the Kotel tunnels. We walked through tunnels that are under the Arab quarter of the Old City. It was truly amazing seeing the extension of the Western retaining wall. However, when we came upon the area which "leads to the Holy of Holies," I was very excited. It truly was an awesome place, and I would love to go there again. I am now getting ready for Shabbat, to spend some nice relaxing time with my family.

Oh, and one more thing. I went to the doctor today because the swelling hasn't gone down. The doctor told me that he thinks there might be some internal bleeding, which has caused the swelling. I have to go see an orthopedist next week to begin physical therapy. I am not allowed to play any sports for at least 4 weeks.

L'Hitraot!

No comments: