Follow by Email

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Yom Kippur in Jerusalem

Yom Kippur has always been about renewal for me. Renewing my soul, renewing everything about myself and complete Teshuvah (repentance). I knew it would be hard to fast this year, as the weather in Jerusalem isn't the most conducive to fasting. However, this was something I needed to do. I had been told my many people that there was nothing like Yom Kippur in Jerusalem. Sitting in services all day, listening to Cantor Eli Schleifer and our beautiful HUC choir made things completely bearable and very spiritual. But that wasn't it. Looking through the windows in the Chapel and seeing the walls of the Old City was very spiritual, but that wasn't it either. Sitting next to Batya during the Yizkor (Memorial) service was difficult, but that wasn't it either.

It was Jerusalem. The city that seems to never be void of cars honking, people talking loud, music always booming...this city which I have grown a complete love for and sometimes a strong distaste for, was quiet! There were no cars on the road (except a few ambulances). All of the traffic lights were out. All that was on the road were walkers and bike riders. It was amazing. And, most everyone was wearing white. It was as if for one day, everyone forgot about all of our differences and baayot (problems) and just remembered. Remembered that it was time to forget, forgive and ask forgiveness. This is what I will take away from Yom Kippur in Jerusalem. The serenity, peace, and quiet!

We are going on a 3 day Tiyul this morning to the North. I promise to take a bunch of pictures and I will post them on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. For now, I wish for everyone a peaceful and healthy new year filled with spirituality, happiness, and love!

Gamar Hatima Tovah!

No comments: