Follow by Email

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Getting Ready for the New Year?

This past weekend was awesome! I am working in a program called "Hillel Shabbat Scholars." Shabbat Scholars are students from the Jewish educational institutions in Jerusalem who meet up with a Hillel (Jewish Federations on universities and colleges throughout the world) Birthright group and help the leaders with services, trips, programming etc. on Shabbat. I was able to meet up with one of my good friends, Philip Schlossberg, the Director of Hillel at Purdue University. I led a Reform Friday evening Shabbat service, helped lead a group of students to the Old City on Shabbat, and led Havdalah services on Saturday night. It was really nice using some of what I have learned this year and putting it "into action." It was also great to catch up with Skippy since I hadn't seen him since my wedding!

In other news...we are getting ready to spend our first ever New Years not in the States. As a matter of fact, it's kind of a joke here. The Jewish new year was back in September, so the only ones preparing for a new year here are non-Israelis! I am not sure what we'll do yet, but we are surely missing the typical preparations as in the states...parades, football and family! And, tomorrow, Christmas Eve, is a regular day of classes for me. As a matter of fact, I'll be in class for the first time in my life on Christmas!

Batya, Carlie and I are getting very excited for Dad and Mom to come visit, and of course going to Greece to visit Susan, Scott and Kaylin! It will be a much needed rest, and a great time to recuperate from these long 6 months. I don't have much else to write about, but I will try and get a post up next week after Christmas and New Years in Israel!

No comments: