Follow by Email

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Is it really over?

Normally being up at 5:45 am isn't so abnormal for me. After all, I have a 2 year old daughter. But for some reason, I haven't slept so well this week. I was sick to my stomach (literally) on Saturday night, up most of the night. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and last night I also haven't slept so well, and this morning I was up at 4:30. And for the most part, it's NOT Carlie's fault! So, why am I having trouble sleeping?

For the past 11 months, I have shared with you my life's journey in Israel. You have grown with me Jewishly, spiritually, personally, as a husband, father, classmate, Jew, and as a human being. And, now, in less than 2 days, I will be back "home" in the United States, ready to begin the next part of the journey. While Rabbinical school is 5 years, the first year in Israel is a journey in and of itself. I remember walking into Nancy Lewitt's (our Director of Student Affairs) office on June 25, 2007 and telling her "I know how this works." What the hell was I thinking? Knowing what I know now, I realize I really knew nothing then.

By no stretch of the imagination do I feel this journey is over. This is just the first "leg." For four more years, I get to learn, develop and grow into a Rabbi. Some say becoming a Rabbi is a life long journey...I tend to agree. But, this year has taught me so much more than I ever could have imagined. While finishing up my exams yesterday I realized just how much I have learned. It truly is amazing. And as far as growth is concerned, I feel this year has given me the opportunities to grow more in one year than the rest of my life put together.

This will be my last post of this part of the journey. I will be renaming my BLOG to "Erin's Journey to become a Rabbi" because I want to continue sharing this journey with you. As the name changes, the blog won't. I will still share with you my thoughts on this journey. I welcome any feedback either on this year's blog entries or on any of my blog entries in the future.

I will end this blog with a quote from one of my classmates:
"This moment is quite surreal. While I know we are saying Goodbye to each other, aren't we really just saying until next time? We'll all see each other again, and we'll ALWAYS be the 2007-2008 Year In Israel class...even when we meet for conventions 20 years from now, this will still be the year we remember!"

Shalom, L'hitraot!!!

1 comment:

Uncle Flip said...

It's been interesting to see how you've changed in the year you've been away. I think all of us who've been reading your posts have been rather proud of you in this journey- and have been quite happy to read about the way your perspectives have been broadened by the experiences you've had during your time in Israel.

I personally am honored that you let me share some of that time with you in person! I saw such amazing things in Israel- and learned quite a bit from you and from the other people we met along the way.

Well done, Sir!