Follow by Email

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Shalom Ft. Walton Beach, Florida!

Shalom friends and family!

It's true, school starts tomorrow. 3rd year, here I come. When I am finished with this year, I will be 3/5 of the way done with "Rabbi school." This weekend marked my first visit to my new congregation, Beth Shalom, in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida. When I was trying to decide which congregation I wanted to work with this year, I knew one thing was certain - AVOID (at all costs) the possibility of being snowed in. Last year, I stayed an extra night 3 times because of the snow in Trenton. I loved the congregation in Trenton - but being a South Carolina boy, NO MORE SNOW!

So, I figured I would try the other extreme, Florida. I know this is only my first visit, but wow. The people are very cordial, friendly and a lot of fun. We had about 50 people at services on Friday night, which was great! And for Adult Ed, there was probably around 25. This congregation is certainly vibrant and alive, and I am so glad I have the opportunity to grow as a rabbinical student with their help and guidance. Of course, it doesn't help that the beach is all around us!

There will certainly be more work this year, but it will provide me tremendous opportunities to grow and learn as a rabbinical student!

I certainly want to also tell you about my summer. I was hired as the Judaics Director, but was promoted to Assistant Camp Director on the 2nd day of first session. It was a lot of work, but it really taught me the ins and outs of camp, and I feel I really thrived in the position. We had to close for 8 days due to the "swine flu," (read H1N1) and that was certainly an interesting transition. Camp Livingston in Bennington, Indiana is a little slice of heaven. The new director, Ben Davis, is truly amazing and I can't wait to see what he is able to do with this camp. He will make a great camp ten times better - to be one of the best!

I promise to do a better job of keeping up with my blog. It's been a long summer and I didn't have a lot of time to write. I will try to update at least once a month...we shall see.

For those of you that will be at Camp Coleman next weekend - get excited, it's going to be great!

See you there!

No comments: