Follow by Email

Thursday, August 25, 2011

R + A + B + B +....

There you have it. Four years of rabbinical school completed, four letters earned (7 if you include my MHL - Masters in Hebrew Letters), and one thesis and a couple of classes left to go. Reality is beginning to set in and it is kind of overwhelming. This semester - my last full academic semester - looks like this:

Monday - 9:20 - 10:35 - Senior Seminar (where we learn all of the practical things we have not yet learned about being a rabbi and clergy)

Tuesday - 9:20 - 10:35 - Adult Education class

Wednesday - 9:20 - 10:35 - Senior Seminar
11:35 - 12:50 - Intro to Guitar

Thursday - 9:20 - 10:35 - Adult Education class

Of course, I am also writing my thesis and driving to The Temple in Louisville on Wednesdays and Sundays for teaching/internship responsibilities. This year will fly by, I am sure. I have already begun to look through various Jewish job websites, looking to see what is out there. I believe that as long as I keep my options fairly open, I should be able to find a job that will make me happy while maintaining Shalom Bayit - Peace in my home!

As the year goes along, with every blog, I would like to share one memory I have had that has shaped who I am today. I would like to turn back the hands of time to my first night as a rabbinic student - in June, 2008. One of my classmates had flown with Batya, Carlie and me from Atlanta to Tel Aviv. We immediately took a cab to our apartment in Jerusalem. My classmate was staying with us for a week while he found his own apartment. Batya and I put Carlie to bed as best we could - she was pretty exhausted.

My classmate and I decided to roam around a bit and I was going to try to see what I could remember from my previous visit to Israel - 7 years prior. Well, as could be expected I did not remember much, and we were lost almost immediately. We did see some pretty interesting things and I did find a couple of shops that I had frequented in Israel 7 years before. I remember thinking, "This year is going to be full of challenges, great memories, and tremendous learning." I could not have been more right. Although it was only one year, I learned more about myself and my family than I could have if we had stayed in the States for that year. Looking back and reading through my old blog posts reminds me how much I learned and how those memories really helped to shape who I am today.

The last 4 + years at HUC have not always been full of sunshine, but I have learned so much and am so grateful to HUC and those who have come into my life for helping me get to today. Of course, the two most important people in this group are Batya and Carlie - my girls, my lights. Without them and their support, who knows where I would be today!

Until next time,
B'Shalom,
Erin

No comments: