Follow by Email

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Summer in Louisville

Hello family and friends! What a long time it has been since I blogged. I know, no apologies. Well, let me begin by saying that this summer has brought so many wonderful experiences and opportunities for growth. It may be hard to believe, especially after my work last summer in Clinical Pastoral Education, but I believe I have grown the most this summer as a rabbinic intern at The Temple in Louisville than any summer before! I have had the tremendous opportunity to work with 3 amazing rabbis and a wonderful support and administrative staff. I have helped with life cycle events, taught adult education classes and Torah study, tutored Bar and Bat Mitzvah students, stayed in the homes of congregants and really had the chance to get to know this fantastic Jewish community. One of the aspects of the internship that I am the most proud of was my work with the local rabbis and Lisa Rothstein - the new director of the High School of Jewish Studies. This is a program that targets all Jewish high school students in Louisville. While there are core classes for each grade level, the students are also allowed to choose electives - the opportunity to learn about a variety of Jewish subjects including Jews in sports, the Holocaust, Jewish issues, etc. I am looking forward to seeing just how successful this program will be.

Well, as this summer is ending, that means that my final year in seminary is beginning. It is hard to believe how quickly the last four years flew by. I have truly enjoyed every day at HUC-JIR, and I am looking forward to all of the new experiences and knowledge I will gain in my 5th and final year of study. Of course, I will never really be finished with my studies, but at least in a year or so, I will finally be able to work full time doing what I love to do! As the year rolls along, I will be working on my thesis, learning guitar and trying to figure out a way to find myself in the best job placement for my family! It will be a very fast year, I am sure, and I hope to be able to enjoy it as it happens.

My intention (and I know I have said this before) is to write at least twice a month in this blog over the next 10 months or so. I hope to share with all of you not only the experiences of this year, but I also hope to share some reflections on how my life has changed and how I have changed over the past 4 + years. I would be lying if I said that every day during the past 4 years has been full of rainbows! However, it is true that even during the not so great days, I would still be able to return home to the embrace of my loving wife and loving daughter. I thank God every day for the ability to continue seeking my life's dream while also being able to share it with the most important people in my life!

Until next time...
Erin

No comments: