Follow by Email

Sunday, February 12, 2012

A goal - it will happen, I am not sure when...

Ok - all of you who read this blog know that Global Social Justice is of the utmost importance to me. It is not just the way I feel or think...it is in the way I live my life. I am not saying that I am perfect or any better than anyone else. What I am saying is that I try to live what I preach...and treat everyone the same. This is not just lip service...it is who I am and who I try to be!

So....I have been a big supporter of the American Jewish World Service and the One Campaign (and the Red Campaign) for years. I have often mentioned to anyone who was listening that Bono - Paul David Hewson - the lead singer of U2 (and one of the co-founders of the One Campaign and the Red Campaign) - was a major hero of mine. It is true. This is a man who has achieved the highest level possible in his craft/skill/career and who is using his celebrity to effect positive change in the world.

Each year, the American Jewish World Service sponsors individuals and organizations to host a Global Hunger Shabbat in November. It is an amazing opportunity to teach others about the problems of Global Hunger and organizations that are working to effect change. This year, I hosted a modest event with about 6 people. It was a good beginning, and I am so excited to be able to share this experience with my congregation next year.

Ok, so here's the goal: I want to combine my passion for social justice (and AJWS) and my admiration of Bono. My goal is to invite Bono to be a part of my Global Hunger Shabbat. I do not expect that this will happen this year...but I hope it will happen one day. After all, if we are all working to make the world a better place and improve the lives of those who are in the Global South, why not work together?


It is my dream/goal/aspiration that all people who desire to help the world to become an equal global community will be able to achieve this: where everyone has the same opportunities as everyone else. I hope that my children will live in this world...

B'Ezrat HaShem (with God's help),
May this happen soon!

No comments: