Follow by Email

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Week before Erev Rosh Hashanah - Sermons written?

I am sitting at my desk in my office, Maroon 5 playing on Pandora, anxiously perusing a variety of news websites: Jerusalempost.com; CNN.com; Haaretz.com; and yes, even Foxnews.com.  Sure, my Erev Rosh Hashanah sermon is already written...but as I pore through these articles, I realize that things could change any moment.  The sermon I have prepared could very well not be the one I deliver - we live in an ever changing world, so therefore our best plans sometimes get left behind.  After all - How did God respond when man said, "I had plans...?"  God laughed.

So, this is not anything new.  The only way I can be totally sure that the sermon I give on any given night is to write it 5 minutes before services begin.  And, while I believe I do a fairly good job with writing sermons (and sometimes quickly), I am sure that I could not accomplish that feat!  The message - write, write, write and prepare to rewrite.  After all, you never know when certain events that occur will require a response from the rabbi.  It has been suggested to me by several congregants that sometimes they really desire to hear our thoughts (and rest assured, sometimes they do not!).

During the past year, we had so many deaths in our congregation.  At one point, I decided to write a sermon entitled "How We Speak to our Children about Death."  Here is the link I posted:
http://rabbierinboxt.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-we-speak-to-our-children-about-death.html.  I believed that (and I still do) some of our parents were challenged with regards to how to speak to their children about death.  There is no one right answer - so my sermon presented several options.  From the response of those that approached me afterward, I know this was a sermon that proved to be helpful in some regards.  There are issues I have chosen to not address from the Bimah.  Maybe my thoughts will change as the years go..we shall see.

So, what happens if the US/Great Britain address the "situation" in Syria with force?  Will we find ourselves in another World War?  What are the goals that we are trying to accomplish?  Will these goals be presented before a response occurs?  I know for a fact I cannot answer these questions...so, the truth is we will all have to wait to find out what happens next.  There is no need (at this point) to become frantic or panic. What we can and should do is to pay attention to a variety of news sources...follow what is going on.  Do your best to read as much as you can and when and if the US/GB respond, we will react as we should.

Will I give the sermon next Wednesday evening I have already written?  My hope is yes...for that means that whatever happens between now and then would have been swift and NOT problematic.  Or, maybe there will be no response.  During this time of reflection, during the month of Elul, let us approach each day with love for our family and friends; let us approach each day with a calm demeanor and live our lives as normal as any other day.

Dear friends - my hope is that we will bring the New Year in with sweetness, hope and joy!

Baruch Atah Adonai, Asher B'Yado Nefesh Kol Chai v'Ruach Kol Basar Ish.
"Praised are You, Adonai, in whose Hand is every living soul and the breath of humankind."

Rabbi Erin Boxt 


No comments: