Follow by Email

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What is it about being a parent in 2013?

Have you ever wondered what makes a great parent?  Have you ever wondered if YOU were a great parent?  These are questions that I often think about.  As a rabbi, I spend a lot of time away from my daughter.  I am encouraged and advised by Rabbi Lebow to never take my family for granted.  Even when I explain I do what I do because I want to provide for my family, sometimes I have to remind myself – go home, hug your daughter, be the Aba you want to be.

While meeting with a Bar Mitzvah student today, I began to ponder once again these questions…my commentary on Tim McGraw’s “My Little Girl” will tell my story:

Gotta hold on easy as I let you go
Gonna tell you how much I love you
Though you think you already know
-       Dear Carlie – never forget that I love you more than you will ever be able to understand!

I remember I thought you looked like an angel
Wrapped in pink, so soft and warm
You've had me wrapped around your finger
Since the day you were born
-       Dear Carlie – no matter what you do, my love for you will never decline!

You beautiful baby from the outside in
Chase your dreams but always know the road
That'll lead you home again
Go on, take on this whole world
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl
-       Dear Carlie – go out there, discover who you are, the skies are the limit.  But, never forget I am here waiting to pick you up should you fall or fail.

When you were in trouble that crooked little smile
Could melt my heart of stone
Now look at you, I've turned around
And you've almost grown
-       Dear Carlie – do not grow up too fast…I want to hold on to that smile, that laugh and that giggle…

Sometimes you're asleep I whisper 'I love you'
In the moonlight at your door
As I walk away, I hear you say
"Daddy, love you more"
-       Dear Carlie – when I come in to your room at night to say “Goodnight, I love you,” I wonder how I am so lucky to have you in my life…I am truly blessed to be YOUR Aba!

You beautiful baby from the outside in
Chase your dreams but always know the road
That'll lead you home again
Go on, take on this whole world
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl
-       Dear Carlie – go out there, discover who you are, the skies are the limit.  But, never forget I am here waiting to pick you up should you fall or fail.

Someday, some boy will come
And ask me for your hand
But I won't say yes to him unless I know
He's the half that makes you whole
He has a poet's soul, and the heart of a man's man
I know he'll say that he's in love
But between you and me
He won't be good enough
-       Dear Carlie – no one will ever be good enough for you, C.  Do not settle for second best…go out there and find your true love, but know I will always be there to protect you!

You beautiful baby from the outside in
Chase your dreams but always know the road
That'll lead you home again
Go on, take on this whole world
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl
-       Dear Carlie – go out there, discover who you are, the skies are the limit.  But, never forget I am here waiting to pick you up should you fall or fail.


Remember, take it from Rabbi Boxt: it is not about money, fame or fortune.  It is about being the kind of parent you want your children to be to your grandchildren.  

No comments: